Saturday, July 31, 2010

Creating a Quiet Book!

My good friend Brittany and I decided to start the LONG project of QUIET BOOKS back in March. It's become such a huge project (including the creation of a 'quiet book group' which meets once a month at church) that I'd like to share what I'm making with people; particularly family and friends who all live so far away!

Quiet Books are cloth activity books for toddlers, generally great for church use (which we spend a lot of time at)! We're spending lots of time and energy doing our best to make them high quality, that will not fall apart with general use. The goal is to have it become a family heirloom!

We are using unbleached muslin for our pages. Mine are cut 11" x 11". I enjoy mainly using felt, with embroidery floss stitching by hand, a style learned from my awesome friend, Jeni Taylor! The only problems with felt are: it cannot go through the wash machine, and it can stretch & pull apart with use. I've taken precautions to glue or stitch a layer of muslin to the back of any pieces that will be played with, or double things up with extra stitching.

I hope you enjoy checking out my projects, and possibly get inspired yourself!

3 comments:

  1. Great work Carrie! Perhaps I should pull out my quiet book and finish it...before my kids are too old for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Now will you make one for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I've been thinking of doing something like this, but I just think of the time it will take and I chicken out. You are very awesome.

    ReplyDelete